Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Found $1 million!

Does this belong to anyone?

This Saturday, Jumbo and I were having some time off for his 10th birthday on the beaches of Cancun. While Jumbo was playing by a small hill of sand, he found a $1 million bill and yelled at me "Look mommy what I found! Look! Look!" waving the $1 million bill in the air. He came to where I was seating and said, "I found this small box in the sand and I found this 1 million dollar bill inside with this telephone number." As he handed me the bill and the paper with the phone number Jumbo asked, "What should we do, mom?" I thought for a moment.

The right thing to do is to call to this phone number and ask the person who answers if he/she has lost some money. "I think we should keep the money, mommy, that way we get more money and can buy ourselves a lot of things. What do you think?" I only thought 'what a naive child'. Of course, he's just a little kid and knows not too much. He's in the stage of pre-conventional morality - morality of self-interest and in which the actions are either to avoid punishment or gain rewards.

Because I knew better, I answered him, "No son, that would be called stealing. The right thing to do is to call this phone number and ask the person who answers if he or she has lost some money. Then, you ask how much money she or he lost and where did he or she lose it. If that persons gets those questions right, then the money is certainly theirs."

So we stood up and went to the nearest telephone booth and called... The result: the money belonged to the person we called.

0 comments:

Post a Comment